Hi! We’re Robbie and Krista – aka Bear and Poppit – an Aussie bloke and Canadian girl building a crazy but wonderful life on our Australian goat farm, Citadel Kalahari.
We are located on the beautiful Southern Downs of Queensland, two hours SW of Brisbane. Each morning we get up ridiculously early to raise Kalahari goats, Maremma dogs, Muscovy ducks, ten ornery geese, a dear old turkey, and a motley crew of chickens. It’s a wild life sometimes, but we love it.
Why goats? Well, I’m so happy you asked! 😉
- Goats are excellent lawn mowers and keep the grass around the property short. This is brilliant for avoiding the risk of bush fire.
- We wanted to raise our own healthy meat and goat meat is one of the best. It is lean, low in calories, salt and saturated fat, and high in iron, potassium, and B-12. This is better than any other traditional meat! It feels so good to know we’re eating something that is good for our hearts, blood, and bodies in general.
- Goats keep snakes away from the house and property because the vibrations of their hooves on the ground send any lurkers fleeing for quieter spots.
- They’re easy to take care of. As long as you’ve got good fencing and good pasture, you’re in business! If you plant wormwood and mugwort (which are natural fighters of worms) the goats know instinctively when they need to eat it. This will cut down on drenching costs tremendously. We only drench 1-2 times a year and our goats are beautifully healthy.
- Goats are good guard dogs. If anyone gets close to them every goat joins the chorus of alarm.
(photo by ramblingtart)
We started raising Kalahari goats in November 2010. Our growing herd of Kalahari Red and Kalahari Bohr cross goats is comprised of superlative breeding stock and premier meat production animals. (Blood lines are Albie Horn, the founder of the Kalahari Red breed, South Africa and Louis van Rensburg & Sons, South Africa.) We offer a limited number of strong, healthy Kalahari Red Breeding Stock and Kalahari-based Meat Stock.
When we aren’t looking after our menagerie, Bear is a full time Special Ed teacher at a nearby high school and spends his free time making medieval weaponry and participating in medieval combat. You can read about our medieval adventures at www.blackwolfcaravan.com Poppit is a published author, freelance food and travel writer and photographer and spends her days creating new recipes, setting up photo shoots, and writing for various print and online publications. You can follow her jaunts around Australia and the world at www.ramblingtart.com
(photo by ramblingtart)
Through this site we share recipes, stories, and photos of life with our beloved Kalahari Reds at the Citadel Kalahari Red Goat Stud Farm.
Contact us anytime at citadelkalahari at gmail dot com for pricing, orders, appointments or to have a good ol’ visit.
We’re so glad you’re here.